Today we are making Valentines cream wafer sandwich cookies of which I like to call… the Doozies 🙂
These mini sandwiches are one of my all-time favorites because the cookie part is similar to shortbread (very buttery, crumbly, and melts in your mouth!) You can fill with any frosting you’d like. I simply use store-bought Pillsbury vanilla frosting and add almond extract to taste.
A few things to note with this recipe: The dough gets really soft when warm so you have to work swiftly. I like to cut my dough in half, and place one half in the refrigerator while I roll and cookie cut the other half. Also, since the cookies are pretty fragile, I like to use a plastic ziplock bag to pipe the frosting onto the cookies rather than using s spatula. It just makes life easier!
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CREAM WAFER COOKIES:
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Sugar (to sprinkle on the cookie)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FROSTING:
- Pillsbury vanilla frosting
- Food coloring (I use red to make pink)
- 2 tsp almond extract
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CREAM WAFER COOKIES:
- In the bowl, mix flour, butter, almond extract and whipping cream until combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Take half of the cookie dough out of the refrigerator, keeping remaining dough refrigerated. Roll dough to 3/16″ thickness on a well-floured surface. Use a small heart-shaped cookie cutter (mine is 1-1/2″ wide and high) to cut out heart shapes. Work swiftly, because the dough softens quickly as it warms. With a thin metal spatula, transfer hearts to your ungreased cookie sheet about 1″ apart.
- Sprinkle hearts with sugar
- Prick each heart several times with a fork about 3-4 times.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes, or just until set, but not browned. Let cool.
- Mix frosting with almond extract and food coloring
- Pour frosting into plastic bag, cut the bottom corner, and pipe frosting onto cookies
- Top with another heart cookie and very gently press together